The Green Gables PTA is seeking to fill all board positions for the 2017/2018 school year. According to our bylaws our current board has reached their term limits. This means that all board positions are ready for new members that are excited to engage in their kiddos education. This is not your Momma’s PTA! You don’t have to have prior experience, you don’t have to bake, and this is not a full time job!
We know what you are thinking…
I am very busy I don’t have time – The time commitment is not as bad as you might think. In fact 95% of our board members currently hold full time jobs, have multiple kids, and have lot’s of engaging outside activities that keep them busy. You can do it we promise you!
I have never held a board position. I have no idea what to do!- We are here to help you and so are the Jeffco PTA and National PTA organization. We have documented all of our processes and are available to the incoming board with any questions that they you might have. The Green Gables school administration is also extremely supportive to the board.
What are the benefits of being a PTA board member? – The number one benefit is being engaged in your kiddos education. Studies have shown that parent involvement in their kiddos education: 1) Improves your kid’s experience at school 2) Improves their test scores 3) Improves your health! – Ok I added that one in…but it does give you a great feeling to be engaged.
How does the process for election work? – The process is very simple. Just let us know if you are interested in holding a board position. We will then take care of the rest. If there are more then one individuals interested in a particular position an election will be held. The nominating committee appointed by the current board will appoint the board member.
I want to know more about the positions- Below is an overview of each of the responsibilities for the board members and Committee Chair Positions.
- Preside at all meetings of this local PTA members and the board of directors.
- Serves as an ex-officio member of all committees except the nominating committee and the financial review/audit committee
- Coordinates the work of the officers and committees of the PTA in order that the purposes may be promoted
- Performs such other duties as may be provided for by the bylaws, prescribed by the parliamentary authority, or directed by the board of directors
- Appoints standing and special committee chairs with the approval of the board of directors with the exception of the nominating and financial review/audit committees chairmen
- Appoints special committees, as needed, with the approval of board of directors
- Appoints the PTA liaison to the school’s accountability committee, with the approval of the board of directors and signs all contracts.
- Serves as aide(s) to the president
- Performs the duties of the president in the president’s absence or inability to serve
- Performs such other duties as may be provided for by these bylaws, prescribed by the parliamentary authority, or directed by the president, and the board of directors
- Records the minutes of all meetings of the Green Gables PTA, board of directors and executive committee
- Is prepared to read the records of any previous meetings
- Files and maintain all records in accordance with document retention requirements
- Maintains the current approved copy of the bylaws
- Has custody of the funds of this local PTA/PTSA
- Maintains a full account of the funds of this local PTA/PTSA
- Makes disbursements as authorized by the president, the executive committee, the board of directors or the membership of this local PTA/PTSA in accordance with the budget adopted by this local PTA
- Be one of the signatories on all PTA accounts. Signers of PTA accounts cannot have disbursement authority over school/school district funds, nor shall two signatories reside in the same household or be related
- Keep full and accurate account of the receipts and disbursements in the books belonging to the Green Gables PTA
- Provides a financial report to the board of directors and the membership at each meeting
- Submits the books annually for a financial review/audit by an auditor or a financial review committee selected by the board of directors. A check signatory may not be the auditor or a member of the committee. The financial review must be completed within thirty (30) days of the close of the fiscal year. A report of the completed review will be presented to the board of directors for adoption at the first general board meeting following the completion of the review, and a copy will be submitted to the Colorado PTA; and
Volunteer Chair Positions:
- Volunteer Coordinator: Communicates with and organizes volunteers for events and fundraisers throughout the year.
- Fundraising Coordinator: Organizes and oversees details and schedule for fundraisers throughout the year including (but not limited to) Read-A-Thon, Run4Funds, World’s Finest Chocolate, etc.
- PTA Meeting Speaker Coordinator: Contacts and schedules brief but informative talks from community leaders at PTA meetings.
- Membership Coordinator: Builds the PTA membership through recruitment, outreach, and handles the membership forms and relays member money to the treasurer.
- Accountability Liason: Attends accountability meetings and reports updates at PTA meetings.
- Hospitality Chair: Coordinates food, gifts, etc for the teachers and staff for events like parent/teacher conferences, teacher appreciation week, etc.
- Communication: Updates the school community about upcoming events and activities on Facebook, PTA website, and flyers.
Where do I learn more? – Reach out to us we are happy to help firstname.lastname@example.org